Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DWF: Our SLICE Tale

SLICE -  "A slice of life in every bite"

SLICE is a newly opened restaurant at Bonifacio High Street Central.  It offers a selection of cupcakes and healthy products from salads, sandwiches & to-go snacks.

I specifically wanted to try SLICE for my bestest & oldest friends' back-to-back bridal & baby showers slash reunion because of their ample space and homey ambiance.  It was also our first time time to visit Boni High Street's new block, where we're all captivated by the amphitheater and spacious space in the middle featuring floor fountains (w/ small children playing in the water or, should I say, taking a shower in bathing suits! OMG). 

Now, where to begin... It's a bit tricky to do a review during soft openings.

"We are delighted to have you at SLICE.  Thank you for your understanding as we are to perfect our menu and service"

The menu selection is very limited (SLICE Menu).  But since it's a new concept and with a notable owner - Sen. Pia Cayetano, the group gamely gave the restaurant a try and acted as foodies for the night (we should do this again guys!). 

I ordered Aglio Olio - Shrimps & Salmon sauteed in garlic & extra virgin olive oil tossed in linguine pasta - aiming for something familiar and simple so I can leave room for desert.

pasta, SLICE, Aglio Olio
SLICE Aglio Olio (P390)

I liked the classic flavor of the dish.  It was a bit dry though when I ate it since I was served first and waited for everyone to get their orders, which took quite some time.  The serving size is a bit of a let down considering the price, I was expecting at least serving size of 1.5 or good for sharing.

The rest of the party ordered gourmet sandwiches served with side salad.  My husband tried to order one of their house specials, Barbeque Chicken Rice Melt, but it's not available.

SLICE, Gourmet Sandwich, Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
SLICE Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich w/ Salad (P390)
SLICE, Open Faced Roast Beef, Gourmet Sandwich
SLICE Open Faced Roast Beef w/ Salad (P420)
SLICE, Open Faced Roast Chicken, Sandwich
SLICE Open Faced Roast Chicken w/ Salad (P390)
Barbeque Chicken Sandwich, Sandwich, SLICE
SLICE Barbeque Chicken Sandwich w/ Salad (P350)

Quite frankly, we found the sandwiches ok... I mean just ok. Nothing surprising.

SLICE's upscale pricing solicited high expectations but with say, Cibo as benchmark for an upper scale casual dining restaurant, our SLICE's over-all food experience didn't quite make the cut.  If I'm not mistaken, they are even more expensive than Cibo's paninis which are absolutely beyond words - amazing.

Saving grace of the night is the desert.  Before heading out, we ordered a Choco Yema cupcake - moist chocolate cake with creamy thick yema topping.

SLICE, CHOCO YEMA CUPCAKE, CUPCAKE
SLICE CHOCO YEMA CUPCAKE (P60)

We found it really good, confirming several blog reviews & raves we've read about it.  Our server gave us a complimentary Banana Pudding (if I remember it right).

SLICE, Banana Pudding, desert
SLICE Banana Pudding

It's interesting. It has mix chuck and mashed bananas w/ caramel in the bottom. We were not sure how to eat it at first, but all is well I guess for sweet treats.  I saw a glimmer in my friends' eyes when they heard it's on-the-house. Lol!

Our SLICE Tale:  "The SLICE that almost didn't make the cut..."

I was almost disheartened when my friends started commenting on the food, the air conditioning, and the service.  Noting to myself these valuable simple lessons: First, go to tried & tested restaurants on important occasions & w/ balikbayan so everybody can relax. Second, assess your guests' food preferences/ needs.  I suppose it is safe to say, SLICE is not ideal w/ husbands / better-halves who are particularly hungry after work.  And why did I miss that?!  Lastly, whatever happens, good desert este good company saves the day. #DWF

So will I go back to SLICE?  Definitely for a fix of Choco Yema cupcakes!

SLICE is located at 7th Ave corner 29th Streets, Ground Floor, West Superblock (Beside Jamba Juice), Bonifacio High Street Central, Bonifacio Gobal City, Taguig

Tin

Like what you read? Subscribe to Ohhthat! by Tin now for updates.

1 comment:

  1. loved their belgian dark chocolate champorado! we'll try desserts next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your "Ohh, that!" thought/s. :)